Thursday 23 September 2010

Dumbing Down

I’ve noticed a startling new trend in recent months which has reached new heights with the advert for the latest FIFA installment, FIFA 11. The days of well spoken narrators seem to be ending, and this worries me.
Television is perpetually dumbing down and it’s beginning to get quite condescending. Take BBC3’s documentary, 12 and Pregnant or whatever it’s called. As this show is typically about idiots or dare I say working class people, and most likely aimed at an audience of like minded people, they have a typically working class narrator in Eastender Natalie Cassidy. It’s as if they are suggesting that if you watch shit like this you are probably an idiot and won’t be able to understand anything with more than three syllables. It’s even suggesting that Natalie Cassidy is an idiot which even I think is harsh.
Supermarkets have taken this approach in their adverts. Waitrose and M&S have typically upper class narrators, Sainsbury’s have a middle class wanker in Jamie Oliver, and Tesco and Asda have gone the Cassidy route. I half expect government officials to start instructing you on which supermarket to shop at based on your elocution. If at any point you say “Is it?” when you’re not actually asking a question you’re not allowed to buy any food and you’re banished to a field to die. That’s what the Tories want.
If the narrator mirrors the intended audience, then the FIFA 11 advert suggests that its demographic is made up of cunts. In terms of marketing this must have an additional purpose other than communication. Imagine yourself to be one these cunts who would play FIFA 11 (easy for me, I own FIFA 10), you are watching TV and you see the FIFA advert, the narrator talks like you do, wow, he’s just like me, if he says to buy the game then I will buy the game for we are one. Wayne Rooney features in the advert and is on the cover, I wonder if there is a new mode this year where you can fuck a prostitute.
This kind of profiling is unfair because not everyone who watches 12 and Pregnant or plays FIFA is an absolute moron. If you go to Tesco it is not some kind of dystopian nightmare, not all the time anyway. I wasn’t aware that there was a problem of understanding well spoken narrators anyway. If I was any kind of paranoid I’d think this Epsilon narration is just a precursor to a greater class divide to the point where we end up with two separate species, the Morlocks and the Eloi. Thanks BBC3.

No comments:

Post a Comment