Tuesday 13 July 2010

Important Things

Ignorance is bliss. Whoever said that is lying. I spend most of my life finding out about good things that I never knew existed. True, I also find out about horrible things as well, but we cannot
unequivocally write off knowledge as exclusively shit.
I say this, because I am constantly trying to catch up with the world. Its a desperate struggle, sometimes quite stressful (watching 15 episodes of Lost in one week trying to avoid spoilers), and makes me wonder if I should just be content to sit in an empty cupboard, ignoring the universe.
I am too busy watching things that everyone says you should watch, that new things that people will inevitably at some point say “you have to watch this”, pass me by completely. I spent most of last year watching the entire series of The Wire, five seasons of House, and around eight seasons of South Park, not to mention a strew of other box sets and “classic” films. Only the other day did I start watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. This makes me feel like a complete idiot. Every time I go into a shop and buy a “classic” item, especially a book, a sense of dread overcomes me as I hand the book to the guy at the till, and he gives me a look as if to say “you haven’t already read this? You stupid little shit”. Of course he probably isn’t thinking that, but I have my fears.
So with this in mind, it came as no surprise that I was completely unaware that Important Things with Demetri Martin has been back on British screens since the 1st July. 13 days I have been ignorant to this! Lets not mention it was aired in April in the US.
I am probably being harsh on myself because I’m guessing that not many people know what this show is, or who Demetri Martin is. Important Things with Demetri Martin is essentially a stand up/sketch comedy show, with Demetri Martin (as the title suggests). American comedians have a pretty bad reputation here, as we see them as loud irritating people shouting things. While this stereotype may be true for many of them, Demetri Martin is one of the more intelligent ones, with most of his routines involving word play (see his 224 word palindrome), and rather than laughing out loud, you hmm and arr, like you do with Stephen Fry, though this of course is not to everyone’s taste.
Important things looks like the first ever Indie sketch show, and this gives it a much needed charm. Without it, it would just be a young Jewish guy trying to be cool by acting smart (which some people will see the show as anyway). It is however, quirky and very fun, and all shows should at least have a go at trying to be big and clever, because as a popular carbonated beverage says, what's the worst that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment